Case Studies

MelSa Case Studies

Below are some practical examples of the ways in which MelSa has assisted clients in the past:

A client had no idea what was going on in terms of their day-to-day office processes.

They had a team of 10 employees working on service delivery tasks. Each team member also had the responsibility of looking after a particular operational task but no-one really knew who was doing what! 

In addition, a number of login details were still kept in the name of ex-staff members, no-one knew where to find key pieces of contractual information, and there was no central billing process.

To address this issue:

  1. I spent some time as the “go-to”, supporting the team with their higher-level office operations.
  2. I created a centralised company handbook (the ‘Operating Manual’).
  3. I set up a cloud-based documents library, including templates and key information – accessible by all team members.

Result: The business function started, and continued, to run like a well-oiled machine – and it was easy to complete the handover to new members of staff going forward.

One solopreneur client had an unnecessarily convoluted sales enquiry process.

They had 3 different enquiry inboxes, on top of a query form – none of which fed into their existing CRM system (meaning that there was no alignment or visibility between the different inboxes, resulting in missed opportunities!)

To address the issue:

  1. I suggested that they filter all of their incoming correspondence into one inbox (still keeping the various email addresses).
  2. I facilitated the reconnection of their CRM tool with the designated inbox.
  3. Together, we set up a new process using the CRM tool to respond to enquiries directly from its portal.

Result: They were able to fully utilise the benefit of their automated CRM system and see the status of all of their sales enquiries at a glance.

Another client had a really basic IT infrastructure in place, with a reactive policy of “firefighting” in the case of any issues.

Business laptops, software and hardware were purchased individually on an ad hoc basis, so were not part of a secure network, and there were inconsistencies in the specifications of equipment between team members. The office internet was also set up on an outdated and expensive contract which was unfit for purpose.

Additionally, the inconsistent use of cloud storage – along with an inappropriate firewall and antivirus system – meant that the client’s information security was very low and productivity was impacted by the difficulty in locating information.

To address this issue:

  1. I identified each specific issue and highlighted these to the leadership team, along with my suggestions on improvements.
  2. I reviewed the team’s existing software licenses and set up a mini migration to Office365, enabling a consistent suite of tools such as audio conferencing. 
  3. With authorisation from the leadership team, I researched, interviewed and selected a new managed IT service provider in line with what was appropriate for the client and facilitated the onboarding process.

Result: The billing and management of their IT infrastructure was simplified and streamlined – this increased productivity and security, as well as reducing unexpected costs.